Licensing training courses

Licensing Courses

The word 'licensing' covers a range of activities and business types, including many in the hospitality sector. Legislation is in place to protect public safety and ensure the business activity does not cause nuisance or disorder. Suitable training courses provide business owners with the knowledge to help protect their businesses and their valuable reputation as a safe environment for customers.

What are licensable activities?

The Licensing Act 2003 sets out the broad range of business activities that may be licensable. Some are more obvious than others, particularly those that involve alcohol.
Examples include:

  • Pubs and clubs
  • Shops, supermarkets and off-licences
  • Burger vans and take-aways that are open very late
  • Cinemas

What is a Personal Licence?

As the name might suggest, a personal licence is for an individual and enables that person to sell alcohol. Note that the premises may require a separate premises licence. The personal licence no longer expires however there are criteria that must be met before the person can apply for the licence – one of these is to possess a suitable licensing qualification. The Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH) is a one-day accredited course that helps to meet the qualification criterion when applying for a personal licence.

Designated Premises Supervisor

Anyone wishing to carry out the roles of a Designated Premises Supervisor needs to hold a personal licence.

Substance misuse courses

RT Safety Training also offers substance misuse training courses, which are particularly useful for those working in health, community projects, counselling and sports. Substance misuse can refer to a wide range of substances and the reasons for misuse can be complex. The Substance Misuse Awareness course is a useful introductory course which has ongoing assessment in a written workbook. Topics covered during the training include the perceptions of substance misuse and the social impacts.